Obesity in America

One of my nursing jobs a few years ago was working for a disability agency here in my state. As one of the Occupational Nurse Consultants I had to review disability applications and make a determination whether to approve or deny the applicant for disability.

Over time as I was going through these applications I started to see an unofficial trend.  A good number of these conditions were either caused or exacerbated by obesity. Some of the many diagnoses were either cardiovascular/circulatory, pulmonary, endocrine (diabetes), digestive, musculoskeletal (hips, knees), immune or nervous systems disorders.

You can visit Centers for Disease Control for more information, however here is a quick picture of the obesity phenomenon in America from 1990 to 2009.
Photobucket
Please watch this video where Dr. Robert Lustig, Professor of Clinical Pediatrics, in the Division of Endocrinology, Director of the Weight Assessment for Teen and Child Health Program at UCSF, discusses Sugar: The Bitter Truth

As for me, I have been struggling with my weight for over two years now. I would love any comments or support you would like to share!

11 comments for “Obesity in America

1. Small Kucing
    May 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

ANy tips on weight gain? Am the opposite, need to gain more weight

2. Stacey Donaldson
    May 19, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I have been chunky my whole life, but pretty much the same size chunk (I look the same as I did in high school), so I don't have thin memories, but I know I could stand to lose some significant pounds :-(

It's an uphill battle, all the way.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I love your blog…it's got personality!

3. Kirsten
    May 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Interesting information. I know I personally need to lose some weight .. at least 50lbs. I am trying to stop drinking soda ( one of my weakness )

Thank you for stopping by to my blog.

~Kirsten~

4. Not Your Ordinary Agent
    May 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Great info! Things have changed so much from when I was a kid. I worry about my girls, but I don't want that worry to rub off on them. I'll keep checking in for some advice. -Becky from VB

5. GJT
    May 20, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Wow, that map is a scary visual. I luckily live in Colorado, the only blue state in 2009, so my children (for the moment) are caught up in the healthy lifestyle that seems to be the norm here. Still, they are sugar fiends like every other little kid.

6. RJ, the HOPE Coach
    May 20, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Lisa, I am thrilled that you're highlighting the connection between overweight/nutrition and all the other health problem we Americans seem to just accept as "normal". I am encouraged every time I see a "trend" toward mindful healthy living, and believe that the more of us are open about it, the better we all will be!

New Follower from voiceBoks – glad to know you!

RJ, the HOPE Coach

7. Atlanta
    May 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Hello, thanks for the comment and follow! I am now following you back!

8. Kristina
    May 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Walking down the aisles of many grocery shops here in the US, it's easy to see why so many people have weight issues. I don't want my kids to grow up with unhealthy habits, so cook everything from scratch at home, using as much fresh stuff as possible.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

9. Jennifer Moiles
    May 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Lisa, Thank you for visiting my blog @ http://www.peaceandgoodeating.com. I also posted a video from Dr. Lustig recently – profound information! I'm so excited that conventional medicine is catching up with, and expressing in scientific terms, what we've known in the holistic community forever. My article that includes the video and holistic strategies for eliminating HFCS and other high intensity flavor enhancers is at http://jenniferspeaceandgoodeatingblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/sugar-on-mind-and-in-arteries.html.

Love your blog! Looking forward to exploring more articles – I just saw right away that we had this interest in common. : )

10. Mommy LaDy Club
    May 29, 2011 at 5:18 AM

I have a friend who is a personal trainer and nutritionist, who has embraced a new way of eating called the "paleodiet" as in paleolithic age diet. We are supposed to eat like we used to as hunter-gatherers. Mostly meat, fish, vegetables, roots, fruits and nuts. There's probably something to it, and really if you think about it, as hunter-gatherers, we probably had to run all day after our meat to catch it, and maybe didn't find something everyday to eat even. Now that would keep you skinny!

June 7, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Thank you for visiting and for the great comments. It is pretty scary to see this map. We have to eat healthier for sure.