Gordy’s Plight

Gordy

We had a wonderful trip while visiting my dad and family in Florida.  As much as we would have liked to have seen everyone, time was just not on our side!  Hopefully our next trip we will be able to spend more time.

My husband and I love the beach and Florida has some of the most beautiful white sandy beaches around! We stayed on Treasure Island, right on the beach. We love waking up and having our first cup of coffee on the shore.  The Dolphins and Manatees are usually out that early and it is fun to watch.  During our stay we did end up meeting a sweet bird named Gordy.

Gordy ended up being my husband’s fishing buddy!  His family can be found in North and Central America, however Gordy lives on Treasure Island, Florida.  I am not an expert, but I think Gordy told me he was a Great Blue Heron.  We met Gordy while my husband was trying to...fishing!

Last time we were here, Gordy’s cousin Eucalyptus stole my husband’s bag of fish.  So Rick was very watchful of Gordy, although this time Rick’s bag was empty, so I am not sure what all the fuss was about!!

Gordy stayed right by Rick and I while he fished. It was so sweet how he stood there patiently waiting. As the sun grew higher in the sky Gordy got hotter! He started to pant a little and pull out his wings to cool down, I was starting to get worried. I didn’t want the poor thing to pass out while waiting for Rick to finally catch something!

Oh wait, Rick caught a fish!! Gordy was so excited, he started to pace back and forth, waiting for Rick to give him the fish.  Rick was so proud of his catch, I was hoping he was still going to give it to Gordy.  After all he waited all this time.

But wait, oh no… I can’t believe it, Rick dropped the fish and he got away. You should have seen Gordy’s face, poor baby. Rick tried to explain that his hands were too slippery, that maybe it wasn’t a good fish anyway for Gordy to eat, that the sun got in his eyes, that the wave almost knocked him down and what else could he do?

Gordy was so disappointed.  He had been waiting for hours there.  He started to walk towards the rocks. I didn’t think he would jump, but would he? Was he that upset?  Was he now thinking that just maybe he had picked the wrong fisherman man?

I begged him to stop, that it wasn’t worth it.  I told him that there were other fishermen out there that would gladly share their catch with him. He just looked at me and flew away!

He did come back later.  I am not sure, but I think he must have been watching from a shady spot, because Rick did catch a few fish.  Gordy was right there ready for his treat.  This time Rick was careful not to drop them!

Rom 8:25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

21 comments for “Gordy’s Plight

1. Small Kucing
    June 30, 2011 at 6:57 AM

I must learn from Gordy's patience.

Kathy

2. Mom4Real
    June 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM

What a great story…I love Gordy! Gorgeous pictures!

Jessica K

3. Kate M
    June 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Hi Lisa!

Thanks for the comment! I just love this story, I can't wait to share it with my husband when he gets home from work! We could all learn from Gordy's patience. Just adorable! Thank you for sharing!

Best,
    Kate

June 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Thank you for reading about Gordy! He was a cutie pie for sure! I think we could all learn from him!
    So glad you stopped in for a visit. ~Lisa

5. Spanish Pinay
    July 1, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Befor I read this post, I was doing something for work and the connection was getting really slow. I was getting irked. Gordy has definitely taught me a lesson :)

Spanish Pinay

July 1, 2011 at 1:37 PM

@SpanishPinay I know what you mean, I have had to step back plenty of times. I wish I had the patience of Gordy! Thank you for stopping in.

7. Lexie Lane
    July 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM

It's 7 am here and am just waking up. Actually, still half asleep and Gordy just made me smile. I love how descriptive you are Lisa. I can't believe you guys have a pelican friend! How cool is that?!

8. Staci
    July 1, 2011 at 2:46 PM

We all need to learn a little patience!

9. Mommy LaDy Club
    July 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Great story Lisa! Just stopping in to say hello…haven't in awhile:)
    Courtney

10. lisaannepollard
    July 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I agree that I could learn from Gordy's patience too! LOL at you're incredibly cute take on the story! Great pics too! :)

Lisa from vB

11. Not Your Ordinary Agent
    July 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM

We have a Gordy at our house around dinner time. Gordy is female and is a dog though. Gordy watches the children's food like a hawk and patiently waits beneath the dinner table for every crumb that falls. You should make this into a children's book, seriously.

12. April
    July 1, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Great story! Love it!

13. Kathy
    July 2, 2011 at 1:43 AM

I love this!!! I need some of Gordy's patience!!! Great pictures too! I'm glad you had a great trip!! Catching up via VoiceBoks!! Have a great weekend!

14. Spilled Milkshake
    July 2, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Great story! I wish I had the patience of Gordy! I am such an impatient person…he needs to teach me a lesson.

I'm jealous of waking up and having coffee on the shore. I just can't imagine how wonderful it would be to drink my coffee and listen to the waves crash. Ahhh, a little slice of heaven!
    Christina

P.S. Visiting from voiceBoks!

15. hotairballoonmom.com
    July 2, 2011 at 9:37 PM

What lovely photos – wish I was there!
    Anna, voiceBoks

16. Coupons Make Cents
    July 3, 2011 at 1:03 AM

We have a beautiful heron that fishes in our pond in our front yard. The pond is stocked full of bass and bream, and it's about an acre in size, so our heron friend has plenty of food. BTW, Lisa, I'm glad to be back on VoiceBoks and hope to chat with you there soon! :)

July 3, 2011 at 1:53 PM

@LexieLane Yes, he was our beach friend!! Wouldn't leave Rick's side!
    @Staci yes, we do. I am the first that should follow Gordy's example!
    @Courtney Thank you for stopping in again!
    @Lisa thank you, I had fun putting it together!
    @notyourordinaryagent Ha ha we have a few of those too!! My dream is to write a children's book, but not sure where to start.
    @April Thank you! So glad to see you here!
    @Kathy Thank you, we had a great trip. Would love to just move back there.
    @Christina I know, that was one of the perks of staying right on the beach. Loved watching the sun come up and in the evening when it set.
    @Anna So happy to see you! Thank you for stopping in!
    @CouponsMakeCents That sounds wonderful. I would love to have one as a frequent visitor at our house! Glad you made it back on VB too!

18. productjunkiemama
    July 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM

What a lesson in patience! Great inspiration!

19. Tangela
    July 4, 2011 at 1:49 AM

That was a wonder-full story! You do have patience, the patience of Gordy! Give thanks for sharing.

20. LC Hunt
    November 23, 2011 at 2:49 PM

LOL, you are right. Maybe they – Look Who's Fishing – are cousins :)

21. August 10, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after browsing through many of the articles I realized it’s new to me.

Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I discovered it and I’ll
    be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!
    http://christosytkocur.skyrock.com/ recently posted..http://christosytkocur.skyrock.com/My Profile