Social Media Etiquette

SocialMedia Etiquette-What Would Emily Post Say?

I have seen many mistakes when it comes to posting on the internet.  I have made some of these mistakes myself! Some of the posts that I have seen make me cringe! I often wonder what would Emily Post say?!!

ErikQualman the founder of Socialnomics says, “We don’t have a choice whether we Dosocial media, the question is how well we Do it.”

Image: farconville / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Desperation Breeds Contempt

Maybe contempt is too harsh of a word, butwe are trying to make a point!  These are a few synonyms found in the dictionaryunder contempt, “Unworthy of one’s notice ordisdain”.  Stop the self promotion!

If your wall streams are only of yourglorious opportunity and how your readers need to join now, then you are goingto turn away many a potential customer.

Maybe your product or opportunity is the bestthing since peanut butter! Let’s try to find other ways to promote it, not byposting continuously about it or about you.

One question for you to ponder, how do youfeel when you walk into the car dealership, do you want to be the salesman or therelationship builder?

Share information that others send out, give credit where credit is due. Give more than you receive back. Relax and enjoy the ride!

Image: ningmilo / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Say it Correctly

Sometimes I find that I may be overthinking when it comes to posting, but I try to be careful regarding grammar,punctuation and content.

Keep it simpleand to the point, thankfully with the arrival of Twitter you have to be to thepoint, in just 140 characters!

Make sure your links are working too. Always test your links before you send them. Again we are all being judged whether we like it or not!

Image: Master isolated images / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Friend Requests Without Messages

When you are requesting to be “friends”with people you personally do not know on Facebook, you should always send a message withyour request.

Using common courtesy should be common sense! I ammore apt to accept a friend request from someone that has a message attached than from those that have not.

Most of the other social networks allow you to add people to your “Circles” or “Followers” without a request, as is with Google+ and Twitter. It is then up to you if you want to return the “Follow”!

Image: mack2happy / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Sending Messages with Just Links

I receivemany tweets with just links; I will not open those links.

There is no guarantee that people will clickon your link even with a message. However, the odds are you will have more that will if you are includinga message with it.

Of course building trust is an important piece of thiscomplicated puzzle.

Image: Damian Brandon / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Scarcity vs. Abundance Mentality

How to handle competitioncan be difficult for some.  According tothe Internet World Stats’ website there are currently over 2 billion internetusers worldwide.

If you are selling face cream, then there are a lot of potential faces out there that you could betargeting, even if you are just trying to sell on the web!  In other words there is enough for all of usto share in this abundant market. Just embrace your competitors and thinkabundantly!

Image: digitalart / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Using Automated Messages

This canbe debated either way.  There are somethat will automatically stop following those that use this method.  Then there are those like myself that justgrin and bear it! There are several twitter automation tools.

Welcomingyour new followers with a generic message is something that is a time saver.  However, once the message is out you shouldfollow up with a personally written message.  I do not recommend posting a link to youropportunity in these messages.

If youuse these tools, you should still manage your tweets and how often they aretweeted. You need to avoid that the same welcome message is sent repeatedly tothe same followers.

Rememberwe are here to build relationships.  If you are just using automated messages, this does notnecessarily send that message.

Related articles

15 comments for “Social Media Etiquette

1. Kathy
    November 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Thanks Lisa, it's always good to keep these tips in mind.

2. Bicultural Mama
    November 14, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Good advice, thanks for sharing!

3. Spilled Milkshake
    November 14, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Great advice! One question I have, though, is that when facebook made the major changes, I lost where you can add a personal message when requesting a friend. Is there still a way and I just can't find it? It looks to me like you just click the request button and then put them on a list. Let me know because it bugs me not to send a message!

November 14, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Hi Kathy! These are some of my pet peeves! Thanks for stopping in!~Lisa

November 14, 2011 at 6:51 PM

You are so welcome Bicultural Mama!

November 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Hi Christina! On the top right of their Facebook page there is the box that says Message. I send them a message that way even when they aren't friends yet. Hope all is well! Lisa

7. Elisabeth Hirsch
    November 14, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Sooo helpful! I love the part about how common courtesy should be common sense. Awesome points.

P. S. I love that header–so gorgeous :)

November 14, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Hi Elisa! Thank you so much! Glad you were able to make it over! Working on my post for you! TTYS! Lisa

9. kim
    November 15, 2011 at 2:05 PM

this post is very VERY nice! simply love it. though i violated some of the rules myself, i'm so glad to come across it that i may correct my mistakes, lol! thanks for sharing..

by the way, do you mind checking out on Mother's Earrings?

10. mrsmomx6
    November 15, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Wow…so much info, thanks for the tips. I need to double check some of my stuff.

You rock!
    Sharon

11. Laura@Catharsis
    November 17, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Very interesting, Lisa. I have to say, I usually do not include messages with my Facebook friend requests, mostly because the people I friend I either know or, recently, are those I've run into in the blogosphere. It's a good idea, though. Thanks for the tips :-)

12. Katrina Moody
    November 17, 2011 at 5:39 AM

Excellent reminders! So many people forget that social media is first "social" – which means a back and forth exchange, not a one-sided one! Nice post!

November 17, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Hi Kim! Thank you! I will visit you in a bit!~Lisa

@Sharon! Thank you hon, you rock too!

@Laura @Catharsis, I know what you mean, there have been times when it is someone I know that I haven't, but for strangers I usually try to! Thank you for visiting.

@Katrina Moody You are right it is social!! Thank you for your nice comment and for visiting!~Lisa

14. Just One Donna
    November 19, 2011 at 2:41 AM

Posts like these help us all. Thanks for reminding us.

15. October 4, 2014 at 9:20 AM

‘This week, I will only drink one beer on Friday night, saving myself thousands of calories’.

As way as their items go, they marketplace numerous science based mostly nutraceuticals that are created to assist in your total wellness and properly becoming.

7 million which was up $ 110 million compared to the year previous.
    Nelle recently posted..NelleMy Profile