Journey From Meat to Tofurkey #TraderJoes #Vegan

Obesity has been a concern of mine for some time.  As an Occupational Nurse Consultant for my state many of the disabilities were in my opinion caused by obesity.  Obesity increases the risk of co-morbidities such as Diabetes, Hypertension, Stroke, Cardiovascular diseases and some cancers.

I too had gained some weight and was not recognizing the face staring back at me in the mirror.  When I calculated my BMI I was surprised to see that I was categorized as obese.  I started eating healthier and lost 20 pounds on my 90 day challenge. However, I became concerned about the hormones, antibiotics and pink slime found in our meats and potentially in some dairy products.

Heather from Rockstew Blog told me about the film “Forks Over Knives”.   The information in this movie hit home for us, my husband has Diabetes, High Cholesterol and Hypertension and is taking medications for all of these conditions.  They also have not established a cause for the condition that I have either. So we decided to change up our diet!

This meant removing dairy and meats from our diet.  I thought that this would be a difficult undertaking as we love meat.  I pictured that soon we would be wearing Birkenstock sandals and driving a Prius too! Kidding!

I still wanted to feel like we were eating a complete meal and was concerned that this new diet would be short-lived. Then my son introduced us to Trader Joe’s Supermarket! They have an entire line of Vegan products. The tofu actually tastes like meat too.

We have kept our same recipes and just switched out the meat to the vegan products and milk to soy. All of our Italian, Puerto Rican, Filipino recipes taste the same, except we can’t taste the grease and the vegetables have increased flavor too!

My husband’s blood sugars have been normal since we started over a month ago. His physician cut his cholesterol medications in half too! We are interested to see what is A1C is in the next month and if he can get off some of his medications.

Image credit: piccia / 123RF Stock Photo

Related articles

21 comments for “Journey From Meat to Tofurkey #TraderJoes #Vegan

1. June 14, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Lisa, I’m so glad that your health has improved so much with just a movie! Keep us updated on the stats and let us know how your husband & you improve :).

• June 14, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I will Heather! Thanks again for the recommendation too!

2. Gerry
    June 15, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I would find it hard to give up dairy! Glad you discovered Trader Joes. There’s another market, Sprouts, that has a lot of good stuff too!

3. June 15, 2012 at 8:45 AM

That sounds like a movie my family needs to watch. I have plenty of weight to lose, and I worry about my husband’s cholesterol levels (though he won’t cut back on his 3 meat-based meals a day policy). Thank you for the recommendation.
    Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com recently posted..How To Eat More Vegetables: 10 IdeasMy Profile

• July 31, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Hi Katie! I will have to start posting the recipes I have cooked and I think your husband wouldn’t notice the difference. Maybe cutting down to eating meat daily instead. I also started drinking the shakes I now use and lost 20 pounds with those.
      Lisa Ladrido recently posted..Thrifty is Not So Thrifty After All @thriftycarsMy Profile

4. Sue
    June 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM

You’ve got to watch FOOD MATTERS and HUNGRY FOR CHANGE as well — I promise you’ll be empowered and informed!

I’ve got ’em both so come on over &borrow ’em ;-)
    Sue recently posted..Cravings – Are You Thirsty for a Bite?My Profile

5. Meat Branding
    November 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I have been visiting various blogs for my dissertation study. Actually i am a food bug, especially i like meat type food, bring me a lot of rubs and marinades but have never tried this brand.

6. May 11, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Hi, I do believe this is a great web site. I stumbledupon it ;) I am going to
    revisit yet again since i have book-marked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you
    be rich and continue to guide others.
    Tisha recently posted..TishaMy Profile

7. May 13, 2014 at 11:49 PM

This paragraph will assist the internet visitors for building up new
    blog or even a blog from start to end.
    youtube.Com recently posted..youtube.ComMy Profile

• May 31, 2014 at 12:24 AM

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
      The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish.
      nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following.
      unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside
      case you shield this hike.
      50′ hdmi cables 1.4 recently posted..50′ hdmi cables 1.4My Profile

• July 8, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Terrific work! That is the type of information that should be shared across the net.
      Shame on the search engines for not positioning
      this publish higher! Come on over and visit my site . Thank you =)
      Craftsman angle Grinder recently posted..Craftsman angle GrinderMy Profile

• July 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Hi would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using?
      I’m planning to start my own blog in the near future
      but I’m having a difficult time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
      The reason I ask is because your design seems different
      then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely
      unique. P.S Apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!
      camera cards recently posted..camera cardsMy Profile

• September 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Simply want to say your article is as astounding.
      The clarity in your publish is just excellent and i could think
      you’re a professional in this subject. Well along with your
      permission let me to grab your feed to stay updated with
      drawing close post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please keep up the rewarding work.
      Youtube.com recently posted..Youtube.comMy Profile

• October 1, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This piece of
      writing posted at this site is truly good.
      55 inch lcd tv recently posted..55 inch lcd tvMy Profile

8. September 11, 2014 at 11:37 PM

I was wondering if you ever considered changing the structure of your
    site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to
    say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
    connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or
    2 images. Maybe you could space it out better?
    domain recently posted..domainMy Profile

9. September 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM

A good pair of custom socks can be worn at a formal gathering or while taking
    in a ball game. In every gathering they will go to, they can put on a quite show that he is someone
    responsible that mean business. The winner is selected based on who performs best or provides
    the most correct answers.
    corporate gifts for men recently posted..corporate gifts for menMy Profile

10. October 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I have been explorikng for a liittle for any high-quality
    articles or blog posts in this kind of house .
    Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this web site.
    Reading this info So i amm glad to shw that I
    hve an incredibly just right uncanny feelin I discovered exactly what I needed.
    I most certainly will make certain to do not omit this
    web site and give it a look on a constant basis.
    dog pain medicine over the counter recently posted..dog pain medicine over the counterMy Profile