A Soldier’s Poem

A Soldier’s Poem

As I sit on my porch I watch them pass by.
So young they are with their bodies torn.

Many now confined to wheels moving to and fro.
Others walk silently,
but in their minds they are not free.

Their pride and courage have not wavered,
despite the challenges they have yet to conquer.

Families stand by their side.
They pray with gratitude that their child is alive,
while quiet tears fill their eyes.

We will not forget our soldiers then and now,
for they served our country
and we must stay proud.

L. Ladrido
Proud Mom of a U.S. Soldier
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center

Image credit: scukrov / 123RF Stock Photo

12 comments for “A Soldier’s Poem

1. August 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Lisa

This is beyond touching. An amazing Mother who has raised an amazing Son. Thank you does not even begin to articulate my deepest gratitude to your family. Thank you, thank you, thank you… for your service. I am so fortunate to be connected with you.

Lisa I.
    Lisa recently posted..Henri the French Speaking CatMy Profile

• August 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Thank you so much Lisa. No matter how people think of the war, these are our children. I am so proud of all of our soldiers too!
      Lisa Ladrido recently posted..A Soldier’s PoemMy Profile

2. August 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM

WOW!!! Totally speechless! That is just so beautiful Lisa…such a lovely tribute….~Big hugs, xoxoxo
    Mitzi recently posted..It Isn’t Always That EasyMy Profile

• August 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Awe, you are so sweet Mitzi. I was actually sitting on my porch and saw the love of these families and the strength of these young men and women. Had to write what was in my heart. Hugs to you too!
      Lisa Ladrido recently posted..A Soldier’s PoemMy Profile

3. August 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM

There are no words good enough to describe how lovely this poem is… You’re a beautiful person, Lisa. xo
    Kelli | Sweetness of Life & Motherhood recently posted..Gray Hair, Sexy Specs and Shedding Baby WeightMy Profile

• August 9, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Thank you so much Kelli. It just came to me, I have never written one before. I was hoping it was okay! Hugs right back to you!

4. Sarah
    August 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Lisa this is beautiful! You have a real talent. I’m so grateful for the freedoms we have thanks to people like your son.

• August 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Thank you so much Sarah. I knew they were coming back injured and at times no longer the same as before they left for war. It wasn’t until I actually saw the magnitude of their injuries day in and day out, was I then able to feel the impact of their service and sacrifices to our country.
      Lisa Ladrido recently posted..A Soldier’s PoemMy Profile

5. Gerry
    August 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Beautiful, Lisa! I have a nephew overseas currently so this hits home. And your words apply to past wars as well; my brothers, dad, and grandfather proudly served for their country!

• August 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Yes Gerry, all of our soldiers should be given the same honor for everything they endured for our freedom. I hope your nephew gets to come home soon. Thanks to your brothers, dad and grandfather for their service as well.
      Lisa Ladrido recently posted..A Soldier’s PoemMy Profile

6. August 11, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Saying thank you falls too short, but as a former first responder…. Thank You. Our soldier, past & present need to know we support their dedication, sacrifice and courage they have shown. Everyone, who has not serve, seen the bloodshed, the torn limbs & battered souls need to remember the freedoms we enjoy we’re paid for with someone else’s blood,sweat & pain!

Thanks again, for the courage and the poem.

• August 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Thank you Vencenzo for your great message and for your service as well. I think we forget what they do and have done for us and we must not forget. If everyone could just walk these halls of Walter Reed, they would know it too. Thanks again for taking the time to comment! Blessings!
      Lisa Ladrido recently posted..A Soldier’s PoemMy Profile