Smart Phones: Privacy & Application Permission Concerns #mobileapps

[24/365 | 24.01.365] There's an App for that!

How many times have you downloaded an app to your smart phone? I am sure many, as have I! Have you checked which permissions you are allowing these applications to access? I was very surprised to see the amount of information I had unknowingly given permission to.

Due to the amount of personal data “required” to run these applications, I uninstalled the following from my phone: Netflix, Skype, YouTube, Yelp, Pandora, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Facebook Messenger.

As you can see in these two screenshots from my phone, Facebook Messenger and Skype both have access to a lot of data.

Facebook Messenger

Messenger

Skype

Skype

You are able to check the permissions of your already downloaded applications by going into your phone settings, click on Applications and then Manage Applications. Prior to downloading any application go directly to the website to see their privacy permissions.

The new Facebook Home is another application that will be running in the background of your phone and collecting a lot of personal data. You can read more about it here from the CNN article, “Facebook Home, Privacy and You”.

Although not as convenient and will take longer, I plan to connect directly to these sites via my browser. How do you feel about these permissions? Will you continue to use these applications in the future?

photo by: MSVG

12 comments for “Smart Phones: Privacy & Application Permission Concerns #mobileapps

1. Gerry
    April 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Sadly, some of those listed above are “necessary evils” that must remain on my phone. I DO need to be connected …as a small business owner my not having the capability to respond quickly can hurt my business. The good news is that the data is used collectively. Facebook, Instagram, etc. have no time to look at you as an individual.

• April 9, 2013 at 5:13 AM

I would love that they would offer us an option to which of the permissions we would want to have on our phone. They have admitted that not all are necessary to run the apps, but have them just in case. Facebook Home is an issue for me. Having these pre-installed on the phones will make it more difficult to remove for sure.

2. Mitzi
    April 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM

wow…I had no idea they were collecting info about our phone calls and such. Now that is indeed going too far… Thanks for letting us know about this.

• April 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Facebook Home is even more intrusive. I think we have gotten too complacent.

3. September 14, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Hey There. I found your blog the usage of msn. That is an extremely smartly written article.
    I will make sure to bookmark iit and return to learn more of your helpful info.
    Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.
    apartment recently posted..apartmentMy Profile

4. August 18, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Use GoPro Studio to create your personal
    movies that you can upload to your favorite website and share with the world.
    gopro drone recently posted..gopro droneMy Profile

5. August 30, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about bot gao luc.
    Regards
    tra gao luc recently posted..tra gao lucMy Profile

6. September 22, 2015 at 7:49 PM

It’s great that you are getting ideas from this post as well as from
    our dialogue made at this place.
    sunfrogshirts.com recently posted..sunfrogshirts.comMy Profile

7. September 26, 2015 at 1:30 PM

You’re so interesting! I don’t believe I’ve read a single thing like this before.

So great to discover someone with unique thoughts on this topic.
    Really.. thank you for starting this up. This web site is something that’s
    needed on the internet, someone with some originality!
    tribratanews riau recently posted..tribratanews riauMy Profile

8. October 12, 2015 at 12:36 AM

Everything is very open with a very clear explanation of the issues.

It was truly informative. Your site is extremely helpful. Thank
    you for sharing!
    noramuaythai recently posted..noramuaythaiMy Profile

9. June 4, 2016 at 10:58 PM

Hey I’m 5’1 and a half and I want to know if this program would work on me to at least grabbing the rim or making my fingers
    go over the rim. I think there are lots of basketball players out
    there who share the same goal and would love to increase their
    vertical jump enough to finally be able to dunk.
    The program also consists of an excellent video library,
    and you can follow the proper procedure of performing the various exercises with the aid of these
    videos.
    ryan shed plans recently posted..ryan shed plansMy Profile

10. June 21, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Thanks for this great resource, I’ve at all times been desirous about
    making jewelry commercially and this lens has given me an incredible begin.
    fashion jewelry suppliers in india recently posted..fashion jewelry suppliers in indiaMy Profile