A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo Beach

Whether you are staying at the Wyndham Rio Mar, the Gran Meliá in Rio Grande or any of the other area hotels, there are wonderful day trips available for you to venture out to. Today we are going to talk about El Yunque and Luquillo Beach.

Day 1: El Yunque National Rainforest and Luquillo Beach

The Rainforest is open daily from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. If you want to catch Luquillo Beach after your trip to the rainforest we recommend that you wake up early! Instead of eating breakfast at your hotel, stop at one of the local Panaderia’s in the area. They offer affordable full breakfasts, a wide range of pastries and sandwiches to choose from. One of our favorites is the pastelito de guayaba, a flaky pastry covered with powdered sugar and filled with guava.

After breakfast you may want to order a cubano sandwich to go with some drinks to take up to the rainforest for when hunger strikes! There are picnic areas and also a concession stand in the park.

El Portal Tropical Forest Center (Park Entrance), is located on PR191 Km 4.3. Call (787)888-1880 or visit El Yunque National Forest Official Site for more information.

El Yunque Trails Map A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo Beach

A map of trails and other locations along Puerto Rico Highway 191 in El Yunque National Forest, Puerto Rico. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Here are some of the ferns that you will find in the forest. They grow up to thirty feet high!

ElYunque1 A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo Beach
Wear comfortable clothes and shoes so that you can hike. Keep your bathing suit close as you may want to get into the Coca Falls to cool off!

300px Yunque waterfall A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo Beach

Coca Falls (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

If you listen carefully you will hear the coqui´ singing in the forest. It is the most popular frog on the island as it sings, “coqui´ coqui´ coqui´”!

Common Coqu%C3%AD A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo Beach

A Common Coquí (Eleutherodactylus coqui) from Puerto Rico. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

After a few to several hours in the rainforest you will be ready to relax on Luquillo Beach aka Balneario de Luquillo. Travel back down PR191 and go west on Interstate PR3 until you see the signs to Luquillo Beach. There is a minimal parking fee, bathrooms and food to enjoy.

Luquillo Beach is one of the main beaches that the locals visit. So expect it to be more crowded during the summer months and local holidays. If you are visiting on Christmas or a major holiday the beach may be closed. However, you can still park behind the Kiosks of Luquillo off of Hwy 3. They are a string of “shacks or stalls” that sell the native foods and desserts.

Ice cream vendors will be pushing their carts on the beach. Don’t be shy, make sure you order the helado de coco, it’s a delicious coconut sorbet. Relax under the palm trees and enjoy your afternoon in the clear blue green water.

A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo Beach

Sunset at Luquillo Español: Atardecer en Luquillo (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

We hope you enjoy this week’s A Day Trip in Puerto Rico. If you visit let us know about your trip!

A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo Beach
 A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo Beach Lisa Ladrido (52 Posts)

Lisa is an R.N. Mom Blogger and the author of Mom Blogger Buzz. She writes about Social Media, Personal Development, Blogging Tips, Travel, Family, Health and is currently writing her first book. She and her husband live in the Seattle area. They have 5 sons, 4 grandchildren and 5 furry four legged children!

Wordpress A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo BeachFacebook A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo BeachTwitter A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo BeachGoogle Plus A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo BeachDigg A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo BeachLinkedin A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo BeachYouTube A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo BeachPinterest A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo Beach

15 comments for “A Day Trip in Puerto Rico: El Yunque and Luquillo Beach

1. August 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Wish I were visiting, but I’ll have to live vicariously through your post today. A trip to the rainforest and Luquillo Beach would sure beat what I have on my To Do List today (smile). Someday….

2. June 29, 2014 at 2:57 AM

You can purchase boxes from any moving companies, or even the people who
    rent out the pods will sell boxes, but you can go around town and ask many grocery stores or supply stores if they will give you boxes.
    A price quote can say a lot about a company’s commitment
    to customer service, so if you find a company that gives price quotes before any obligations are made, it is recommended to take advantage of that offer.
    If you are having a thought in your mind about hiring a moving company to assist you in your relocation,
    then it is really essential for you to understand why the moving company experience is so very important to
    your final choice.
    Marti recently posted..MartiMy Profile

3. June 30, 2014 at 6:21 AM

Thus, the police officers usually position themselves in the
    highway to observe the cars and to supervise the activities of
    the college students in their holiday breaks, specifically in the way they
    drive. There have been a number of instances where sentences have been reduced or charges
    have been dismissed because of the right phoenix dui lawyer who has been in a position to handle the case properly and professionally in a
    court of law. Even to get a very first time offense it is essential that you obtain a DUI lawyer
    in Phoenix since in contrast to a lot of other states, Arizona has laws which make it attainable to
    eliminate your license on the first offense.
    Leonora recently posted..LeonoraMy Profile

4. July 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM

First off I want to say superb blog! I had a quick question that I’d like to
    ask if you do not mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your mind before writing.
    I have had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out
    there. I do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or
    hints? Thank you!
    spells of magic that work recently posted..spells of magic that workMy Profile

5. July 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Thanks in favor of sharing such a good idea, article is pleasant, thats why i have read it fully
    free reiki recently posted..free reikiMy Profile

6. July 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I ɑmm really ǥrateful to thhe holder of this website who
    has shared this enormoys pߋst aat at this place.
    Top Blogging Sites recently posted..Top Blogging SitesMy Profile

7. July 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure
    whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble.
    You’re wonderful! Thanks!
    comptoir en quartz ville de Quebec recently posted..comptoir en quartz ville de QuebecMy Profile

8. July 20, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say superb blog!
    comptoir granit ou quartz Quebec recently posted..comptoir granit ou quartz QuebecMy Profile

9. July 28, 2014 at 7:26 PM

This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger.

I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of
    your great post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!
    comptoir quartz Quebec recently posted..comptoir quartz QuebecMy Profile

10. August 10, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?

I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Many thanks
    comptoir quartz ou granit Quebec recently posted..comptoir quartz ou granit QuebecMy Profile

11. August 12, 2014 at 11:03 AM

My partner and I stumbled over here different web page and thought I might check things
    out. I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to exploring your web page yet again.
    http://Www.dacaposalamanca.com recently posted..http://Www.dacaposalamanca.comMy Profile

12. September 15, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Hello to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is
    getting more from this website, and your views are pleasant for new people.
    prix déménagement recently posted..prix déménagementMy Profile

13. September 19, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Hola! I’ve been reading your site for a while now and finally got the
    bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Texas!

Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!

14. October 1, 2014 at 6:43 PM

This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am actually
    impressed to read all at single place.
    12 volt battery charger Reviews recently posted..12 volt battery charger ReviewsMy Profile