Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by You

tea and twitter Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by You

I have a drawer with old cell phones scattered about. Once the phone becomes obsolete or something breaks I end up throwing it in that drawer and purchasing the latest version.

As soon as I saw the Phonebloks concept I immediately thought of my son’s Lego toys that used to make their way under my feet! Phonebloks is a phone that will be built in a modular or Lego-like fashion, customized just for you. Each piece is detachable.

Just choose which parts are important to you, snap them together and create your phone. If you wanted the next best camera on your phone, instead of upgrading to an entire new phone all you would need to do is purchase the camera module and snap it on. If one of the pieces breaks just replace it, easy!

This is a Dave Hakkens, @davehakkens creation and concept. Why did he create this prototype? He explains it here on Phonebloks.com, “The market of electronic devices is growing rapidly, but it feels like we are building disposable stuff. Every time we make something new we completely throw away the old one. Imagine all the good displays, Bluetooth and speakers we have thrown away. I love the connected world where we live in and it’s time to set up a universal modular platform where companies work on together.”

Advantages

• Cost effectiveness: Only replacing the defective part instead of upgrading to an entire new phone. Keep your phone longer. Being able to keep all of your phone’s accessories without having to purchase new ones.
  • Customize:  Create the phone with only the components that meet your needs.
  • Environment: Minimize electronic waste.

I think it is a great idea but it isn’t available to purchase yet. Phonebloks can use your help to spread the word. How can you help? They currently have a Thunderclap campaign which ends on October 29, 2013. All you have to do is join the campaign and share it on Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr. “Show the world we want a phone worth keeping! #phonebloks” by joining HERE.

Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by You
photo by: DigiEnable
 Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by You Lisa Ladrido (50 Posts)

Lisa is an R.N. Mom Blogger and the author of Mom Blogger Buzz. She writes about Social Media, Personal Development, Blogging Tips, Travel, Family, Health and is currently writing her first book. She and her husband live in the Seattle area. They have 5 sons, 4 grandchildren and 5 furry four legged children!

Wordpress Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by YouFacebook Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by YouTwitter Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by YouGoogle Plus Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by YouDigg Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by YouLinkedin Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by YouYouTube Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by YouPinterest Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by You

30 comments for “Phonebloks: A Custom Cell Phone Created by You

1. September 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Wow, this I must get for my husband. He only uses it for a few things and he really hates to get a phone that does 100+ things when he only needs a few. this would really work well for him
    Melanie recently posted..Lunch Box Challenge Day 13: Summer time SaladMy Profile

2. September 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I honestly have never thought about this with cell phones :) But it makes complete sense! I have a bunch of old phones in drawers around the house where maybe 1 thing doesn’t work… great ideas…
    melanie recently posted..Our Families New Meal Plan – New Recipe & FREE Meal Planner Printable!My Profile

• September 14, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I know I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this too. I think it’s a great idea. Thanks Melanie!

3. September 14, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Wow! What an interesting idea! I look forward to hearing more about this in the future! Ill checkout the campaign as well!
    Ashley recently posted..Facebook Love Blog HopMy Profile

• September 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I will be watching for it too! Thanks for also checking out the campaign! They are almost to their goal.

4. September 14, 2013 at 3:16 AM

We have more old cell phones in this house than I care to admit… but we didn’t get rid of them because they didn’t work. We got rid of them because we up graded. That is an interesting concept though.
    Terry (My Journey With Candida) recently posted..Anchor Bay Entertainment DVD Review ~ Just Walk 5 Mega Miles With Leslie SansoneMy Profile

• September 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I know, me too Terry. I have a drawer full of them and there isn’t anything wrong with many of them either.

5. September 14, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Woah it is such an awesome idea!
    Noor Unnahar recently posted..Friday rhymes with Fry dayMy Profile

• September 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I think so too Noor. It will be interesting to see if the cell phone manufacturers think the same thing!

6. September 14, 2013 at 6:00 AM

WOW what a wonderful concept! I love that idea. I hate waste and only upgrade my phone every 3-5 years.
    This is such a great idea I hope they make it.

• September 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Me too! I hate the waste and it should save us some money too!

7. September 14, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Hurrah for ingenuity, this is something a LOT of people are going to like!
    Rosey recently posted..Fall Festival Deals!My Profile

8. September 14, 2013 at 7:18 AM

It’s definitely a unique concept! I hope his business idea takes off!

• September 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I have a feeling it will. The campaign has almost met the goal he had.

9. Cyndie
    September 14, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Truly a very interesting concept.

10. September 14, 2013 at 8:15 AM

That is awesome. I’m like you, I just usually upgrade to the newest version but this will certainly save me some money. Will have to show this to a few people I know who are like me. Sprint might not like this. :)
    Growing Up Madison recently posted..Costume Discounters ReviewMy Profile

• September 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I know I was wondering about the cell phone manufacturers not being so crazy about the idea. But you never know, if the public is behind it maybe they will too!

11. September 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM

That is a wonderful concept. I would certainly try one if it were available. I never did like to use disposable products.
    Grandma Bonnie recently posted..DIY: Reversible Dog CoatMy Profile

• September 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Yes, I think so too. This should save us some money too!

September 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I think this is a wonderful idea. We have gone through so many cell phones because of defective parts.

• September 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I know me too! I am excited to see it get past the prototype stage!

13. September 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I never thought about it like that but it is such a waste to get rid of an old phone after you’ve paid so much for it. I’ll be interested to see how this does on the market!
    Kristen @ kristenione recently posted..House Happenings: Riker’s Room Part 1My Profile

• September 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Me either Kristen. If he can find a manufacturer and have the support of these cell phone companies then I think it will be a go.

14. September 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM

hmm looks nifty. might be something i’d look into as i’m having trouble adjusting to a smart phone (the one I have). need more simplicity!!
    Jenny recently posted..Unique Bloggers: A BloghopMy Profile

15. September 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM

This is a great idea! I would actually love less stuff on my smartphone!
    Stacie @ The Divine Miss Mommy recently posted..Canon PIXMA MG6320 Wireless Color Inkjet Photo All-in-One Printer {GIVEAWAY} @CanonUSAImagingMy Profile