Decorating Our New Home Using Antiques and Turquoise

Mom Blogger Buzz

Photo Courtesy of Redfin.com

We are in the process of purchasing a new home. It is particularly exciting for me because this will be our first home that my husband and I purchase together. For the soon to be thirteen years of marriage, we have been living in the house that he shared with his first wife. Even though I tried to make it my own it never felt like it was my house. As you can imagine I feel like a newlywed again as we shop and make plans for our new home.

Although we haven’t even closed yet, I am already choosing colors, furniture and accessories! My husband and I started looking for furnishings at our area antique stores. We found some nice pieces but because of the prices we ended up just buying four chairs for our eat in kitchen.

Then we ventured onto Craigslist and we were surprised to find the matching antique buffet with beveled mirror for only $300! Our local antique stores were selling them for $1200 and above.

After living in the Caribbean for so many years turquoise is one of my favorite colors. Years ago I traveled to North Carolina to visit my sister. She took me to Seagrove, NC, which apparently is the “handmade pottery capital of the U.S.”! You will find around 100 shops and galleries as you stroll and drive through this quaint town.

It was a fun day and of course I purchased several turquoise pieces, which I can’t wait to unpack. Today while taking a peek on Pinterest I found Pottery Barn’s board called “Turquoise by Pottery Barn”. There was the dinnerware set that I had been watching! Since it was now on sale I ordered it today!

Mom Blogger Buzz dot com

We already have the kitchen table, completing the eat in area of the new kitchen. I am still deciding on paint colors, as soon as we move in I will continue posting our progress. You can follow my Board on Pinterest as I will be posting pictures on there as well.

45 comments for “Decorating Our New Home Using Antiques and Turquoise

1. July 15, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Nice. Turquoise is such a lovely color.

• July 16, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Thank you Lilith! I love it too!

2. Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    July 16, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I love antiquing! We have so many great little antique shops around my neck of the woods. I love what you chose.

• July 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Me too Robin, and thank you! Those are for the eat in kitchen, now we are on the lookout for the formal dining room!

3. July 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I love collecting antiques too – and that dinnerware set is so gorgeous!
    Heather recently posted..50+ Blueberry RecipesMy Profile

• July 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Thank you Heather! The dinnerware is on it’s way and can’t wait to get it. We are supposed to close this week!

4. July 16, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Turquoise is such a pretty color.I love antiques would fill my home with them if it was possible.Glad you managed to find the things you wanted cheaper :).
    Kay Adeola recently posted..My Son Loves Nature.My Profile

• July 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM

We were happy to save some money. We are going to keep looking for more things little by little. I am addicted to turquoise Kay! Thanks for poppin’ in!

5. July 16, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I love finding great deals on craiglists. So many times we rush out and get the must haves when there are great deals right in front of us and cheaper too. I love turquoise myself and truly think it is the in colour this summer:)
    Tiffany Steadman-Collins recently posted..Take A Sneak Peek at Your Unborn Baby with @UCBABY_ca #ReviewMy Profile

• July 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I know, we were surprised to find so many things on Craigslist! Turquoise brings the Caribbean to our rainy Seattle! Thanks for stopping in Tiffany!

6. July 16, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Oh how fun! We purchased our first home a little over a year ago, and it’s proved great material for blogging LOL Is that the one you are about to purchase in the picture at the top? I love it!!!
    Kristen from The Road to Domestication recently posted..Summer Holiday Shelf! (And a FREE printable!)My Profile

• July 16, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Yes, it is the one! Thank you! We are supposed to close this week hopefully! I am getting excited and plan to blog about the progress!

7. July 16, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I love the turquoise color, in fact I am thinking of redo my work area in turquoise and orange. Now I need to get shopping.
    Melissa Vera recently posted..Look Cute with These Homecoming DressesMy Profile

• July 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Thank you, Turquoise makes me happy Melissa! I can’t wait to see some of your finds!

8. July 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Congrats on the new home! I love the color turquoise! Good luck!
    Krystal recently posted..Stream Worthy Summer Shows With Pop Secret Popcorn #PerfectPopMy Profile

9. July 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I love the color turquoise. it just adds so much to a room!
    Amber Nelson recently posted..4 Tips for Saving Money on ClothingMy Profile

10. July 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I love antiques they give such a lovely feel to a home. iKind of like it’s been lived in.
    becca recently posted..Weighing In WK#82My Profile

11. July 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I love antiques and the color turquoise really pops. You did a great job choosing the color.
    Amanda Love recently posted..Jack and Lily Footwear – Review & GiveawayMy Profile

12. July 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Oh wow. The little accents can really make a huge difference. Antiques make a home feel more homey.

13. July 16, 2014 at 2:12 PM

I love that you happened to get that set on sale! It’s all going to come together so beautifully!
    Liz Mays recently posted..My Honeymoon Was A #VacayGoneCrayCrayMy Profile

14. July 16, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I love that turquoise plate/cup set! What a pretty shade!
    Annie recently posted..Yelp Intern Event: San Jose EarthquakesMy Profile

15. Jennifer Williams
    July 16, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I have been on the hunt for antiques for the home we are trying to purchase. Today I lucked out on an antique sewing machine I had been hunting for – so excited. I love the buffet you found and that was a great price.

July 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I love that turquoise pottery. It is one of my favorite colors but I have never been bold enough to decorate with it.

17. July 16, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Congratulations on your new home. It is a wonderful milestone for any couple. The turquoise pottery has some great color and charm.
    Tough Cookie Mommy recently posted..Get Ready For Back To School With Kohl’s! #Kohls101 @Kohls #AdMy Profile

18. July 17, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Beautiful house and furniture. Can’t wait to see more as you move in. I know what you mean about picking out your own…my husband owned the house we live in before we were married too!
    Kristen @ kristenione recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: A Lot of Trader Joe’sMy Profile

19. July 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I love both of those! I just want to start all over with the decor in our house!
    Carly from The Puzzled Palate recently posted..Guest post from… me?!?My Profile

20. July 17, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I love the antiques and turqoise. What a fun elegant way to decorate
    Toni recently posted..Escape To Luxury At The All-Inclusive Grand Velas Riviera Maya ResortMy Profile

21. July 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I love turquoise and I have to follow your board! I actually want to decorate with a minty color and a bit of orange by I’m not sure what shade.
    Mina Slater recently posted..Simple Summer Beauty Look – Video TutorialMy Profile

22. July 17, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Congrats on your new house! I have been on a turquoise decorating kick myself lately.

23. August 18, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Oh my goodness I do love those plates!
    Mitzi recently posted..The Turquoise JarMy Profile