Which Zero Calorie Sweetener is Best For You?

Sugar Dish

I have been on a journey regarding which sweeteners to use on a daily basis. I have a sweet tooth and I know I am addicted to sugar. As I started to remove sugar from my diet I knew I did not want to consume chemicals like aspartame, which you can find in Equal® and NutraSweet® and most diet drinks and foods on the market today. Nor did I want to use Sweet’N Low® aka saccharin either. When I tried these carbonated drinks, they actually gave me a unrecognizable chemical aftertaste. Here is why:

Aspartame is made out of three chemicals, yes I said chemicals, phenylalanine, methanol and aspartic acid.  If you would like to read more about each of these chemicals that most of us consume multiple times daily in our lives, possibly without even knowing it, check out Dr. Mercola’s article.

Immediately I blindly jumped on the band wagon and started using Splenda® aka sucralose, which is also an artificial sweetener. At the time I thought less dangerous and started using it in our coffee and an occasional soda.  As I continued my quest for “health”, I found out that part of the production process is to chlorinate it, yes with chlorine.

Needless to say I stopped using sucralose all together and wanted something natural. Then Truvia® was added to our shopping list, “born from the leaves of the stevia plant”, as their website states. However, the production process to create this “natural” sweetener is not so natural. Check out FoodBabe’s article titled, “Is Stevia Safe?”. If you love to drink diet sodas, read, “7 Side Effects of Drinking Diet Sodas”.

Back to the drawing board. I wanted an actual natural Stevia product and then I found, SweetLeaf®, which we have been very happy with. The recommended serving size for a cup of coffee is 1/8th of a teaspoon which is equal to 1 tsp of sugar, but we have been content with half of that in our coffee.

If you are a soda drinker, SweetLeaf® offers another product called Sweet Drops™ when mixed with Sparkling Water you can create your own healthy diet drink!

Here in Washington State, we have found SweetLeaf® at Fred Meyer® stores, online and on Amazon. Of course Trader Joe’s also has their own brand, which my husband has tried and loved as well.

Many of these large companies are creating their own “natural” stevia products. When buying these “natural” products, read the ingredients first. You will be surprised how many “natural” products are not really so. When I see “natural flavors”, I put the product right back on the shelf. Who knows what they consider natural.

Here is an Infographic showing the differences between Stevia and Aspartame. If you have found a natural Stevia product that you love please share it with us in the comments below.

photos by: &

51 comments for “Which Zero Calorie Sweetener is Best For You?

1. July 23, 2014 at 6:23 AM

Excellent pieces. Keep writing such kind of information on your page.

Im really impressed by your blog.
    Hi there, You’ve done a great job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I am confident they’ll be benefited from this website.
    Reviews recently posted..ReviewsMy Profile

• July 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Thank you Boris, I am glad you stopped in!

2. Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    July 23, 2014 at 6:24 AM

I am a stinker – I use real sugar. I know it’s worse for me, but I can’t seem to quit it.

• July 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I know Robin, it is quite addicting. I bake with raw honey and have been able to satisfy my sweet tooth!

3. July 23, 2014 at 6:36 AM

I only use STEVIA!!! I also use agave liquid on occasion. I know how bad most sweetners are for you.

• July 23, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Yeahh Terry! Which one do you use?

4. Jennifer Williams
    July 23, 2014 at 7:20 AM

I usually use Stevia, however I am guilty of starting my day with Diet Pepsi. My family and I agree that it is safer for everyone that way as caffeine withdrawl is not good for any of us and I do not like coffee or tea.

• July 23, 2014 at 8:43 AM

That’s great Jennifer. After reading about all the health problems associated with diet drinks once I stopped I felt better. I know how hard it is to wean off of these types of products.

5. July 23, 2014 at 7:26 AM

I’ve used Nectresse and it doesn’t really leave an aftertaste like Equal or Splenda. But I sometimes just use a bit or real sugar as well!

• July 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I will have to check Nectresse out Carmen. It is is naturally made then I am sure it is a great product.

6. July 23, 2014 at 8:00 AM

This is a great article, and what an awesome infographic! I must say that I’m a Diet Coke addict. I KNOW it’s bad…I don’t know why I still want to drink it!
    Kristen from The Road to Domestication recently posted..Easy Does It!My Profile

• July 23, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Thank you Kristen. I am going to try the SweetLeaf version of soda to see if it quenches my cravings for it. It was hard for me to stop drinking it too, but I think it is best that we don’t put those chemicals in our bodies.

7. July 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I use a small amount of sugar or a natural sweetener like agave or maple syrup – in moderation.
    Heather recently posted..Pink Grapefruit-Walnut Detox SmoothieMy Profile

• July 24, 2014 at 6:00 AM

Moderation is the key for sure Heather! I have never tried agave or researched it as an alternative. I do use raw honey for baking and that has worked out fine. Thanks for stopping in for a visit!
      Lisa Ladrido recently posted..Which Zero Calorie Sweetener is Best For You?My Profile

8. July 23, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I do like to use real sugar, but I am finding that I really like Stevia. I will use that in my baking occasionally.
    Theresa recently posted..Wordless Wednesday~ Under the BridgeMy Profile

9. July 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I’m a sweet in low kind of gal.
    becca recently posted..The Local Flavor SwapMy Profile

• July 24, 2014 at 6:05 AM

I know a lot of people who are too Becca! My grandparents were diabetics and used it all the time. Since my husband is diabetic I had to research to find the most healthier version as possible!

10. July 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I’ve been working to stop drinking diet sodas. I know how bad they are, and the side effects of not drinking have been brutal (but worth it.)
    Jaime recently posted..What I’m reading WednesdayMy Profile

11. July 23, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I have done research on both and it is very tricky situation. Because I have little ones at home, I stick to real sugar.

12. July 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM

What a great break down. I always wonder about the non-sugar sweeteners. I have tried NuStevia, but only for a review. I think that’s the only kind I’ve had.
    Rosey recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Table Menus?My Profile

13. July 23, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I don’t use sweatners I use sugar in the raw or honey. I don’t use much regular sugar unless I’m baking.

14. July 23, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I use real sugar too, but I have heard positive things about Stevia.
    Amber NElson recently posted..Tips for Saving Money on FurnitureMy Profile

15. July 23, 2014 at 5:30 PM

My parents refused to add sugar to anything with me when I was a child in the hopes it would rub off to me as an adult and I have to admit it has – I can’t deal with extra sugar be it real or a sweetener – I know a lot of people who do have a sweet tooth though so hopefully I can pass this on :) x
    Sarah Bailey recently posted..Make the most out of your Astral moisturiser.My Profile

16. July 23, 2014 at 7:42 PM

I too have been trying to nix sugar out of my diet. I have been searching high and low for an alternative. I am so glad that you’ve posted this…I don’t think Stevia is in the market over here, but I am sure I can order it from Amazon and bring it in.
    Tami recently posted..Quote of the weekMy Profile

• July 24, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Tami if you have natural or organic supermarkets where you live, they may have it. I hope you can find it, Amazon and directly from the SweetLeaf website you can get it.

17. July 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM

It’s amazing how awful and chemical-laden some of these “natural” ingredients really are – that’s why it’s a good idea to do your own research. I use maple syrup or honey for sweeteners now and have adjusted to drinking my coffee black.
    April @ Everyday Fitness and Nutrition recently posted..5 Tips to Transforming StressMy Profile

July 23, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I just ordered some of the Stevia Cola drops. I am trying to stop my diet coke habit. Hopefully this will help.

19. July 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I use pure brown sugar or agave nectar. This is all so interesting. I will definitely bookmark it and learn more!
    Elayna Fernandez ~ The Positive MOM recently posted..How To Write Non-Fiction Book Back Cover Copy That SellsMy Profile

20. July 24, 2014 at 5:27 AM

If I use a sweetener it is Stevia or a plant itself. I just am not a big sweet eater, like things sour, bitter or spicy. I don’t like anything that is unnatural.
    April Decheine recently posted..How To Make Raw SauerkrautMy Profile

• July 24, 2014 at 6:18 AM

That is great April. I am not sure I can grow it here in WA, but will check it out. More and more people are realizing the dangers of eating all these chemical laden foods. I am glad you are too!

21. July 24, 2014 at 7:38 AM

To be honest, they both worry me! I do drink Coke Zero and Diet Coke though.
    krystal recently posted..Home Decor Ideas for Indoor Entertaining With Febreze | Giveaway #NoseblindMy Profile

22. July 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM

My family drinks coffee a lot, therefore we use sugar a lot. We usually use sugar or Equal. We are seriously thinking of using Stevia!

23. September 17, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Though, perhaps that’s just a reflection on my own skills.
    They are applicable to a myriad of other weapons and techniques.
    Plus, the fact that they live in the sewers is hysterical.
    g force kamas recently posted..g force kamasMy Profile

24. September 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Ninja nunchaku need to be the proper length
    for the user. Many people have a misconception that having stun guns for personal safety is illegal.

Used as a thresher, the nunchaku could have been used to separate the grain and husk of
    rice and soybeans.
    kamas recently posted..kamasMy Profile

25. October 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.

I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I’m quite sure I’ll learn a lot of new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!
    home inspection report recently posted..home inspection reportMy Profile

26. January 12, 2016 at 7:50 AM

hey i eat sugar in lot every day, is it bad for my healthy?
    motivational quotes recently posted..Sebastian Kneipp – A Visionary of naturopathic healing methodMy Profile

27. February 11, 2016 at 11:34 AM

thanks for share :)
    samsung printer drivers download recently posted..Epson Expression Premium XP-820 Printer Driver DownloadMy Profile

28. March 17, 2016 at 4:48 PM

just wanna say EXCELLENT..!
    very awesome
    printer driver for win 10 recently posted..Dell C1765NF Printer Driver DownloadMy Profile

29. March 17, 2016 at 4:49 PM

really good info, i hope this will help many peoples
    new tech PC recently posted..The worst passwords “123456” remains the most commonly used passwordMy Profile

30. April 6, 2016 at 9:05 AM

giving much info, thanks this is very usefull and great
    Hiti printer recently posted..Download Driver HP LaserJet Enterprise MFP M630dnMy Profile

31. April 6, 2016 at 9:06 AM

what ever you said is true and great for sharing and helping us