DIY: How to Reface a Brick Fireplace Without Knocking it Down

Mom Blogger Buzz dot com

We purchased a new home in July 2014. My husband and I downsized since all the boys are grown and moved out. You are welcome to read my first post here.  Ever since we have been painting, adding hardwood flooring, crown moldings, master closet, laundry room and refacing and adding a mantel to the fireplace. My husband does all the work, all I do is draw what I want on a piece of paper and he creates it! He is awesome like that!

Here is how the fireplace looked and with the moss green which was the original color of the house. There is nothing wrong with moss green but I had it in my other house and wanted a Caribbean feel in this home.

As you can see the bricks went up on either side and it looked like the letter H, without a true mantel. We have an entertainment center so we weren’t interested in adding the television over the fireplace. Neither of us wanted to tear down the brick either, so this is how we did it.

Mom Blogger Buzz dot com

Here he is adding the arch frame to the interior and center. We decided to add the arch because we wanted to match all the arched entryways that are part of the living room.

Mom Blogger Buzz dot com

Now he added drywall to cover the top portion of the bricks and arch.

Mom Blogger Buzz dot com

Mud and sand the drywall as directed prior to adding your texture. He then rolled, using a medium rough roller the drywall mud to match as close as possible to the orange peel texture on the rest of the walls.

Mom Blogger Buzz dot com

We then primed the wall, painted it turquoise to match the rest of the room, new hardwood floors, added the crown molding and mantel he made out of scrap wood!

Mom Blogger Buzz dot com

Here is the finished fireplace. We removed the track lighting and added the chandelier. I just began accessorizing the mantel. I found all these items at our local HomeGoods store. I am not sure if I like it yet, but I may keep adding other things to it. We  aren’t completely unpacked, so I am sure there are other goodies that I will find.

Mom Blogger Buzz dot com

What do you think? Should I add more things to the mantel or is this enough?

81 comments for “DIY: How to Reface a Brick Fireplace Without Knocking it Down

1. Robin Rue (@massholemommy)
    May 18, 2015 at 12:51 PM

I think it came out awesome. I have always wished I had a fireplace in my house :)

2. May 18, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Thank you Robin! He is working really hard!
    Lisa Ladrido recently posted..DIY: How to Reface a Brick Fireplace Without Knocking it DownMy Profile

3. May 18, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Wow it looks beautiful! I wish my hubby were handy around the house like this!

4. May 18, 2015 at 1:04 PM

I am very impressed!! That turned out so nice and looks great now. Your Hubs is doing a very nice job.
    By the way… we are thinking of downsizing too.
    Terry recently posted..BoneJuvenate ~ The Women’s Guide To Preventing And Treating OsteoporosisMy Profile

5. May 18, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Wow it looks beautiful! This is great to know! Love diy projects like this! Also, your house is gorgeous!

6. debmmed@hotmail.com
    May 18, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Rick,

If you were my neighbor, I would stare at you through the window all day long!!!!

7. May 18, 2015 at 2:07 PM

You did a great job. I love the texture you used as well as the color. The final product looks very elegant.
    Paula Schuck recently posted..What is a TimeShare? Know the Pros and Cons of InvestingMy Profile

8. May 18, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Wow. What a little bit of creativity and paint can do. I love the after. Well done

9. May 18, 2015 at 2:49 PM

I think you guys did a really great job. I love the color too.
    Amanda O. recently posted..Now Open! Shedd Aquarium’s Amphibians ExhibitMy Profile

10. May 18, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Wow that is great transformation. I love the little love note you left under the mirror.

11. May 18, 2015 at 3:05 PM

That turned out so pretty! I’m missing the fireplace at my old house now!
    Liz Mays recently posted..Hi! I’m the New Guy!My Profile

12. aimee fauci
    May 18, 2015 at 3:12 PM

I am loving the color you chose! Home improvements like this scare me. Y’all did a great job.

13. May 18, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Wow, that looks fantastic! I love fireplaces but can’t imagine ever doing work like this ourselves! Very impressive!
    Lois Alter Mark recently posted..my #solestory about vionic shoesMy Profile

14. May 18, 2015 at 5:31 PM

This fireplace looks so beautiful now. I love how this makeover makes it look like a brand new room.
    Toughcookiemommy recently posted..There Is Nothing Like A Father’s Love And Protection! #imbornto #MoDSquad @MarchofDimes #AdMy Profile

• May 20, 2015 at 7:08 AM

Yes, it has changed the look for sure. The turquoise although bold has brightened it up a bit! Thank you so much!

15. Tiffany Steadman-Collins
    May 18, 2015 at 6:48 PM

WOW! You did an amazing job! Such detailed step by step instructions I feel like this is something I could attempt myself if need be. Thank you so much for Sharing:)

• May 20, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Thank you Tiffany! I am glad we took pictures as we did it. I didn’t want to forget how it used to be!

16. May 18, 2015 at 7:12 PM

You did an amazing job! I like the chandelier you added to the front!

• May 20, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Thank you Jenny! I always pictured a mirror and a chandelier there, I love the reflection in the mirror!

17. May 18, 2015 at 9:58 PM

so much better! You did an amazing job!

• May 20, 2015 at 7:06 AM

Thank you so much Veronica! Hubby has been busy since the day we closed on the house!

18. May 19, 2015 at 10:57 AM

It looks great! I have a brick fireplace in my basement that I would like to reface like this someday!
    Theresa recently posted..Get Crafty With Liquid Chalk Markers! #ColorGallery {Giveaway}My Profile

• May 20, 2015 at 7:05 AM

Thank you Theresa, I hope you do it. Ours used to be mauve before it was painted white. I don’t mind the remaining brick that we kept since it’s white.

19. May 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM

What a fun project! It really is looking pretty good!

• May 20, 2015 at 7:04 AM

Thank you! Yes, we have so much more to do, but I think we are starting to get over the hump!

20. May 19, 2015 at 12:00 PM

This is so neat. I have a brick fireplace and I have always wondered how to reface it.
    Ourfamilyworld recently posted..Why Does My Toddler Love to Be Naked All the Time?My Profile

• May 20, 2015 at 7:03 AM

There are many ways to reface, but we just didn’t want to start tearing the brick all down. Thank you so much!

21. Angela
    May 19, 2015 at 6:17 PM

I am so impressed with how that turned out. Your fireplace is stunning.

• May 20, 2015 at 7:02 AM

Thank you so much Angela! I was so afraid to put anything on the mantel! We finally started shopping last weekend.

22. Rosey
    May 19, 2015 at 6:53 PM

That came out so lovely. I’d like to have a fireplace that worked in the winter. :)

• May 20, 2015 at 7:02 AM

Thank you Rosey! I always wanted a fireplace and it gets pretty chilly here. So I am glad we finally have one too!

23. May 19, 2015 at 10:07 PM

This is awesome & it has come out very well over all. We would love one such Fireplace at home which would be a great gift during the worse winter. Your husband has done a great job for sure.

• May 20, 2015 at 7:01 AM

Thank you Lisa! Yes, and he has been very busy since we bought the house!

24. Kim
    May 20, 2015 at 6:04 AM

Oh wow! I love it! Looks amazing!
    Kim recently posted..#MyBeautyIs Week 2My Profile

25. May 20, 2015 at 6:23 AM

It looks great- I think you have just the right amount of accessories. Great job!
    Valerie@Occasionally Crafty recently posted..6 Things We Do To Teach Our Kids the Importance of WorkMy Profile

• May 20, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Thank you Valerie! I didn’t know which direction to go regarding accessories, so I have been putting it off. I just ordered our first print to be framed for the foyer, so we shall see! One step at a time!

26. May 20, 2015 at 6:45 AM

That looks wonderful! I love the color I’m just a big chicken to go that bold. Remofeling is a lot of work, we have been remodeling the house we bought for almost a year now. From the floor up, it is handy to have a hubby that can do the work. To expensive to have it done. Thanks for sharing. Gives me some ideas for brighter up our dark living room.
    Linda at MixedKreations recently posted..How to Make a Easy Burlap & Fabric FlowerMy Profile

• May 20, 2015 at 6:59 AM

I have always been chicken Linda! We get a lot of rain here in Seattle, so I wanted to brighten up the room a little or maybe a lot, depending how you look at it!! Yes, I am so lucky that my husband can do everything around here! Thank you so much!

27. May 20, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Looks great! I could have really used this in my last house. Haha!
    Miranda @ Miranda Writes Blog recently posted..Thrift HaulMy Profile

28. Chrissy
    May 20, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Wow what an amazing idea, this looks absoluteley beautiful!

29. May 20, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Wow, that turned out so lovely and I just love that color!
    Natasha recently posted..No, We ARE NOT Chasing ButterfliesMy Profile

30. May 20, 2015 at 1:01 PM

This looks great! The previous owners covered our fireplace in marble which looks nice EXCEPT they didn’t put in a mantle?! Definitely on my to-do list :)
    Sara recently posted..Corn Puddings – An Improved CornbreadMy Profile

31. May 20, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Ohh it looks amazing!!! You did a fantastic job!! Love the paint color, too!
    Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama recently posted..10 RV Travel Tips & Tricks for BeginnersMy Profile

32. May 20, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Absolutely love it. Gorgeous!! Especially love the wall color.
    Tammy Greene recently posted..After All These Years – Marriage QuoteMy Profile

33. May 20, 2015 at 7:26 PM

This looks amazing!! I love the transformation! Great job!
    Suz @ 2 cats & chloe recently posted..Such a crazy weekend + essentials!My Profile

34. May 21, 2015 at 5:42 AM

Oh great post! Just moved into a place with a fireplace and we thought about redoing it. Great tips. Thanks!
    Audrey recently posted..*Book Review*My Profile

35. May 21, 2015 at 8:44 AM

While we’re in the process of a bigger home, we will have projects and it’s nice to have this knowledge in our pocket. What a great job you did!
    The Mid-Atlantic Foodie recently posted..Easy Family Friendly Dinner: Ground Turkey Lettuce WrapsMy Profile

36. June 1, 2015 at 1:04 AM

Wow! I really like the look of the new mantle–the mirror and little bits of decor suit that space perfectly!
    Rachel G recently posted..Anyone Want a FREE eBook? {My Venture into Editing a Novel}My Profile

• June 1, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Thank you Rachel! We are doing one project at a time and it is so good to finally get some accessories!

37. June 7, 2015 at 7:58 AM

What a wonderful update to the fireplace! I think you did a fantastic job and the mantle looks perfect just as it is. You can add small seasonal things to import the changing seasons, but otherwise, less is often more and this looks fabulous. Love the mirror and the chandelier!
    Mitzi@The Gathering Corner recently posted..When Tranquility Seems Out of ReachMy Profile

• June 10, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Thank you Mitzi! Yes, that was something I always wanted. I love to be able to see the reflection in the mirror! We were pretty lucky with HomeGoods.
      Lisa Ladrido recently posted..Living With POTS: I Am Not a ZebraMy Profile

38. Shirley Koiso
    June 7, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Hi Lisa,
    What a good job, I am impressed. You don’t need anything because there’s beauty in simpleness.

39. July 11, 2015 at 4:04 AM

What a transformation, looks great! Need to do some renos in our home, or just move!
    Maria recently posted..Must-See Things to Do in Prince Edward IslandMy Profile

40. July 11, 2015 at 8:32 PM

I think that looks absolutely fabulous. I love the chandelier that you hung, too.
    Stacey Werner recently posted..Get the Look: Retro Modern Kitchen IdeasMy Profile

41. February 1, 2016 at 10:54 AM

The change in your fireplace is amazing with just that little bit of work. I’d never thought about simply putting drywall over the top of brick like that. Did you drill into the brick to attach the drywall, or use another method?

42. March 3, 2016 at 2:52 AM
  43. May 16, 2016 at 8:41 PM

With good maintenance it really is really good. Adding some protection and security would make it look cool and even better.

• November 14, 2016 at 10:15 PM

The repairmen will also tell you when you should clean your chimney next, depending on how often you plan on using it. He will also tell you the safest ways to use it, and what you can do yourself to reduce the amount of dirt build up.

44. January 24, 2017 at 12:54 PM

This is a great post. In fact we have had to do this many times now and have narrowed it down to doing it pretty much the way you have just described. It works really well and it’s faster than some of the ways we went about it from our first time. Anyways, the fireplace looks great and I look forward to reading more of your blog posts.

Thanks guys!