ForksOverKnivesEnchilada-Casserole-vertical-800x793

In a previous post, Living With POTS: I Am Not a Zebra, I mentioned that I would be sharing some of the healthy vegan recipes from Forks Over Knives. We are newbies when it comes to cooking mostly all vegan. Since I wasn’t familiar with some of these recipes I made some mistakes along the way. If you are a vegan newbie like us, here are some tips that you may find helpful.

Tip #1

Initially when we started, I planned our meals for the week and then went shopping. Since most of the ingredients are vegetables, this helped things from spoiling. Sounds good right?! However, there were days that we just didn’t feel like a particular recipe. Another issue we found was that since it is just my husband and I we would have leftovers, so we really didn’t need to make a new meal every night. Therefore, I had a weeks worth of vegetables in the refrigerator that would have to spill over to the next week or so. Increasing the possibility of spoiling.

Before you go shopping, whether you like leftovers or not, look at how many servings the recipe calls for and either cut the ingredients in half or have enough to eat it again the following night!

What I love about the Forks Over Knives App is that when you are preparing your shopping list you can click on the ingredients you need from the recipe and it will immediately go into the App’s Shopping List. I added the Red Bell Pepper to the Shopping List in the image below.

ForksOverKnives App

Tip #2

Have certain items in your pantry and refrigerator, making sure that you do not purchase a lot of perishables. This is my list, which includes some items frequently found in the Forks Over Knives recipes we love:

Cans of Black/Kidney & White Beans
Sweet Potatoes
Red Potatoes
Gluten Free soft tortillas
Herbs
Trader Joe’s Coconut Oil

Tip #3

Read over the recipe before you get started. If it calls for cooked Quinoa, that takes around twenty minutes, so start preparing that first. Then cut up all the vegetables that the recipe calls for. The mistake I made is I didn’t realize I needed it already prepared and dinner that night was way later than planned!

If I don’t have Quinoa on hand I have been substituting with brown rice and so far all the recipes have tasted delicious. Some of the recipes call for salsas or sauces. Make sure you take that into account and prepare those ahead as well.

Tip #4

If you don’t have one already, purchase a medium or large food processor.

We purchased the Nutri Ninja 2-in-1. It is the perfect size for my husband and I. The Processor Bowl is 40 ounces and it also includes 16 ounce Nutri Ninja Cups for healthy shakes on the go.

Nutri Ninja Mom Blogger Buzz dot com

I mostly love casseroles because I can prepare them in the morning and just put them in the oven when dinner time rolls around. This particular recipe is not only delicious & healthy but also very quick to make.

FOK Vegan Enchilada Casserole

(Click here for the recipe:) The Forks Over Knives Vegan Enchilada Casserole is what we are having for dinner tonight.

FOK Vegan Enchilada Casserole

I substituted the chard for what I had on hand, spinach and kale. Almost ready to put in the baking dish, top with cut soft tortillas and bake! Don’t forget to download the Forks Over Knives App and try these delicious recipes!

Please share with us in the comment section below any websites, cookbooks or apps you use when looking for healthy recipes.

52 comments for “Tips for the Vegan Newbie and a Bonus Enchilada Casserole Recipe via @ForksOverKnives

1. Robin Masshole mommy
    June 11, 2015 at 12:39 PM

While I am not a vegan, I would still love to make this recipe. It’s a healthier option :-)

June 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM

I love all my Ninja products. They’re so easy to use and so helpful.

3. Catherine S
    June 11, 2015 at 1:35 PM

This looks good. I have been trying to eat healthier and incorporate more veggies in my diet. I can’t wait to try this.

4. June 11, 2015 at 1:42 PM

this is really helpful, I need to make a point of buying a larger variety of veggies. I’m not vegan but I don’t eat very much meat.

5. June 11, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Yum! My not vegan but that looks amazing and I could eat that any day! This is all such helpful info too, my 6yo has showed extreme interest in Going vegan!

6. June 11, 2015 at 4:48 PM

I love Mexican food. I have never had it vegan style though, I so would try this. Sounds nice and healthy.

7. June 11, 2015 at 6:06 PM

We do not have a food processor. I need to get one of those.
    Amber NElson recently posted..Part 1: My Beautiful New Summer Wreath Invaded By IntrudersMy Profile

• June 12, 2015 at 7:56 AM

I really like this one Amber. There are quite a few choices out there, but we wanted the cups for our shakes and those were included. I am really happy with this one so far!

8. June 11, 2015 at 7:06 PM

I’m sharing this with my daughter. She’s a vegetarian and is planning to become vegan.
    Lois Alter Mark recently posted..gopro hero+ lcd at best buyMy Profile

• June 12, 2015 at 7:55 AM

I am sure she will like it, it was really quick to make and yummy. Thank you Lois!

9. June 11, 2015 at 7:21 PM

I have heard that being a vegan can be quite hard. These tips are so helpful!

• June 12, 2015 at 7:55 AM

I used to be intimidated as well, but actually after you learn some basic recipes it gets easier. Thank you Stacey!

10. June 12, 2015 at 4:38 AM

I tried going vegan once and I couldn’t pull it off. I like meat too much. This recipe could be converted to include meat for those of us who can’t live without it.
    Maureen recently posted..Trouble Sleeping? 5 Tips For A Better Night’s SleepMy Profile

• June 12, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Yes, we are meat lovers too. However due to some health issues we are choosing to try to stay away from animal protein. The app I mentioned really has helped me stay on track. Thank you so much Maureen!

11. June 12, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Oh. I’ll have to check out this app. I need to get my diet under control, especially since my exercise is going so well.
    April G recently posted..Here Today, There Tomorrow: I’m Guest PostingMy Profile

June 12, 2015 at 10:27 AM

I am not a vegan but I would absolutely love this casserole. Lots of great veggies and so healthy. I have read a lot lately about forks over knives. This app looks like it would really be so helpful in figuring it all out. Thanks for the tips too.

13. June 12, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Your recipe looks so good. Your vegan tips are great to start on this diet
    mykidsguide recently posted..8 Things You Need To Survive The Hunger GamesMy Profile

14. June 12, 2015 at 1:46 PM

I’m certainly not following a vegan diet. But this recipe sounds delish!
    Heather recently posted..Give kids the flavor without the sugarMy Profile

15. June 12, 2015 at 6:16 PM

This vegan meal looks really good. It’s nice to know that there are tasty options for those on modified diets.
    Toughcookiemommy recently posted..Cool Off This Summer With Homemade Ice Pops!My Profile

16. June 12, 2015 at 11:18 PM

This seems like a great start for someone who isn’t exactly sure what to do as a vegan. The enchilada casserole sounds so good!
    Paula Schuck recently posted..Advocacy Goals After the 2015 IVF Funding Program is in Ontario #ohip4ivf #onpoliMy Profile

17. June 13, 2015 at 6:45 PM

I love Forks over Knives, but I haven’t tried this recipe. It looks so good. I can’t do a vegan diet, but we are mindful of what we do eat, and have instituted “Meatless Monday’s” in our homes for years now. This recipe is going into the rotation for sure. I have a friend who’s considering the vegan lifestyle and will definitely be passing along this blog post link as your tips are perfect for a newbie. :-)

18. Megan @ C'mon Get Crafty
    June 15, 2015 at 9:20 AM

I will definitely need to download this app, since my grocery shopping lately has been insanely disorganized!

19. June 17, 2015 at 11:45 PM

That app seems pretty awesome, and I am totally jealous of your ninja! :-P

ps- Thanks a lot for making me want guacamole at 2am! LOL!

Meagan Sullivan
    Meagan Sullivan recently posted..My first Liebster Award!My Profile

20. June 18, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Mmm, that sounds really delicious!
    Miss Angie recently posted..Photography: Aspen’s Senior PortraitsMy Profile

21. June 18, 2015 at 11:05 AM

This looks really good! And thank you for the tips; I’m not vegan but trying to eat more clean. I tend to waste vegetables due to not using them all, so what I do is plan a meal around all the produce I have, and also plan for a leftover night. This usually helps. =)
    Jaime recently posted..3 Reasons to Shop at MeijerMy Profile

22. June 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM

This looks super yummy.

23. June 18, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Great tips, and recipe! I didn’t know Forks Over Knives had an app! Will definitely check it out!

24. Elizabeth O.
    July 6, 2015 at 2:23 AM

The Enchilada Casserole looks so delicious. I am not a Vegan, but I love vegetables. I want to try this.

• July 6, 2015 at 7:12 AM

It was very good Elizabeth, I hope you do! Thank you for visiting!

25. July 18, 2015 at 8:44 AM

My sister-in-law went vegan not too long ago and she can be so difficult to cook for! I’m grateful there’s a lot of literature out there to help!
    Sabrina @ Dinner, then Dessert recently posted..Hawaiian Luau Slow Cooker PorkMy Profile

26. August 8, 2015 at 8:26 PM

I tried being a vegan once. It was so hard, so tips are appreciated!

27. August 8, 2015 at 8:27 PM

This casserole looks so tasty! I have never had an enchilada one before.

28. August 11, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Thank you for this recipe. My daughter has decided to go vegan and she will love this recipe.
    Melissa Vera recently posted..Feel Invigorated with GladeMy Profile